Senior Supply Chain Manager
From our sites in Belgium and the UK, QinetiQ enables the most demanding space missions. As one of the largest and most respected global science and technology organisations, we are constantly breaking new ground in the application of cutting-edge technology in the space sector. We deliver pioneering solutions and are successfully transferring our expertise into pushing the boundaries of space. Why don’t you team up with us and help us seize the opportunities of tomorrow?
Manages & Develops the local supply chain team of subcontract managers and purchasers.
Negotiates favourable terms, volume discounts, and long-term contracts with suppliers (subcontracts, purchases) and prepares and processes requisitions and purchase orders/subcontracts for the procurement of technical equipment, custom engineered products, systems, software or components. Acquires and maintains understanding of technology trends, market forces, cost trends and supplier technology road maps. Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to organisation policy.
The role is accountable for providing a best in class procurement service offering during the end-to-end procurement lifecycle, from the initial bidding stages up to final project delivery. The candidate will be expected to identify & execute areas of improvement, and lead initiatives to drive positive change.
The role will be responsible for developing and executing the cost effective and timely delivery of procurement-sourcing projects, including development of a Long Lead Item and Strategic Resourcing management strategy. The individual will have both internal and external recognition as an expert, responsible for driving the sourcing process, supplier risk management, and collaboration with senior business leadership to deliver & execute the procurement strategy for the full range of procurement bid & project activity.
Sourcing exercises may be initiated by internal stakeholders to work on cost-centre funded projects, through functional initiatives to improve supply solutions, or subcontracts in support of customer bid/funded work. There will be equal focus on driving out unnecessary expenditure to reduce corporate overhead and the timely delivery of contractual solutions within bid & project timescales.
The Senior Supply Chain Manager will need to be able to identify, develop, and nurture positive supplier relationships in order to meet QinetiQ’s future aspirations. To be successful, this will require knowledge of specific space and engineering domains and associated supply chains.
- Develop strong relationships with key decision-makers in order to influence behaviors and ensure appropriate involvement of Procurement in all sourcing activities.
- Maintain awareness of the restrictions, controls, and accreditations that are placed upon suppliers working in a space environment, ensuring at all times that both sourcing strategies and the incumbent supplier base do not jeopardize or threaten internal compliance.
- Collaborate with the Group Procurement Team to identify opportunities to use extant supplier relationships and frameworks that leverage Group scale. Conversely, the Senior Supply Chain Manager will be responsible for identifying repeat requirements from the projects pipeline and work together with the wider Group Procurement Team to deliver suitable, long-term contracting mechanisms.
- Ensure compliance with process, governance, and controls as agreed within the Operating Framework.
- Collaboratively develop industrial strategies with key stakeholders to ensure alignment of targets, improve supplier performance, and implement continuous improvement plans.
- Collaborate with peers to develop and enhance systems, process, and best practice sharing to help QinetiQ achieve best in class performance, and bring consistency to sourcing activities.
- Develop and maintain supplier relationships to ensure the supply chain deliver to time and schedule. This will include ownership of the Supplier Relationship Management strategy and will require close collaboration with internal functions including Project Management, Technical, Quality Assurance and Trade Controls.
- Current relevant domain knowledge – space and/or aerospace.
- Ability to manage and support others through the bidding process and delivery process.
- Knowledge & significant prior application of European space procurement practices.
- Previous experience working within a bidding environment preferred (but not essential).
- Understands impact of external customer requirements and recognizes the levers that significantly improve the probability of winning external bids & tenders.
- Highly proficient in the identification & mitigation of supply chain, organizational, regulatory, legal & commercial risk.
- Experience of conducting international business is advantageous.
- Ability to constructively challenge and influence colleagues (where appropriate) to improve solution design or commercial offering.
- Is recognized as an expert within the business, through the provision of specialist depth/breadth of knowledge.
- Working independently to identify, triage, and solve challenging problems, with guidance required in only the most demanding situations.
- Execution of best practice within the function.
- Ability to work in matrix/cross-functional capacity delivering in a bid or project environment.
Adaptive and change focused: able to adapt pace of delivery to meet business requirements
Natural and articulate around senior management. Good listening skills and able to focus on issues critical to senior leaders. Can deliver communication concisely and steer conversation towards decisions needed.
- Has the technical skill combined with sufficient gravitas to be recognized as a subject matter expert.
- Highly customer focused and concerned with meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
- Highly results oriented. Keeps the organization on track and delivery oriented.
- Emotionally intelligent and comfortably relates to many different types of people. Is personally self-aware of strengths and weaknesses.
- Previous line management experience with the ability to lead by example.
- Accountable for developing a small team of subcontract managers/purchasers.
- Degree in a business or engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years in a procurement or supply chain. Related role within the space industry is a plus.
- Knowledge of procurement systems and infrastructure.
- Knowledge and prior experience of strategic bidding and business development.
- Proven contract drafting and negotiation skills (preferably within European space contracting environment).
- Previous line management experience.